We are always working hard behind the scenes to create a white papers and videos on our YouTube Channel.
Some issues and questions currently in development:
- What is the island’s carrying capacity? A multi-pronged study.
- Does the island need and can it support its own water-testing facility? Done! Read the white paper here.
- Can we mitigate the negative impacts of short-term rentals without eliminating the benefits?
- Is it possible for the island’s scallop industry to come back to peak levels? A plan of action.
- What other industries can thrive here that have not yet taken hold?
- Is there a better way get freight to the island? (1/22 update: We are in the initial stages of a feasibility study on this subject)
- A build-out analysis under current zoning.
- The economics of working in the arts on Nantucket.
- A community-owned, island-wide wifi network, implications, costs and benefits.
- What does a zero-growth economically balanced Nantucket look like?
- What improvements does the island need in the area of transportation?
- Is a heavy freight airline to Nantucket feasible?
- The missing piece of the island mental health puzzle. (1/22 update: We are currently partnering with the Community Foundatiuon on this.)
- Are there tax and other incentives that can help island employers create housing for their employees?
- Changes to the island’s covenant program that will spur year-round housing.
- A bifurcated Nantucket economic model for housing — Year-round and visitor.
- The island’s energy consumption and how it might change.